our core values and exploring our beliefs provides a framework in
which to articulate the outcomes that we wish to see from our philanthropic
investments. To foster these outcomes, the BellSouth Foundation has,
over the years, developed a distinctive approach to its philanthropy.
In our work we seek to:
- Ensure that all we do is geared to improving results for students,
teachers, administrators, and communities.
- Pioneer in identifying emerging issues and in encouraging innovative
approaches to them.
- Create learning communities through networks of committed individuals
and institutions that, by working together, will learn from one
another, test new ideas, and disseminate widely what they have learned.
- Draw on the different experiences, insights, and strengths that
diverse members of communities can bring to our philanthropy.
- Operate primarily at the system or district level in public K-12
education and invest in places that demonstrate the will and capacity
to sustain an initiative and bring it to scale.
- Increase the capacity of education systems and institutions primarily
by expanding the leadership skills of those at the center.
- Adopt the latest technologies to make our work more effective
and our interactions with grantees, partners and colleagues rich
and more varied.
- Foster the use of effective technologies and technology tools
among those with whom we work.
- Collaborate with other funders, public agencies, non-profit organizations,
and business entities on issues of concern to us.
- Communicate regularly to a wide array of stakeholders about our
philanthropy, its impacts and what we are learning.
- Assess results (both short- and long-term) of our investments
and use what we learn from these studies to inform later efforts.
- Leverage a variety of corporate resources on behalf of our philanthropic
mission, and strive to add value to the BellSouth Corporation from
the work we do.